Pregnancy has been in the news over the past month, with a royal baby back in October and the usual smattering of celebrity pregnancies. The inspiration for this post, however, originated a little closer to home; let’s just say that, in around 6 months’ time, my wife and I are going to be entering a fun new world of sleep deprivation! Pregnancy brings up a whole host of science and chemistry questions, the first of which is: how do pregnancy tests work?
Enjoyed this post? Support Compound Interest’s graphics on Patreon!
References & Further Reading
- The long gestation of the modern home pregnancy test – G Braunstein and others
- Pregnancy tests: a review – T Chard
- P is for pregnant: the history and science of urine-based pregnancy tests – K Tyssowski
- How do pregnancy tests work? – T Nguyen
- Pregnancy test animation – Sumanas Inc.